I’ve mentioned in a few of my posts how I’m currently following Slimming World. It is the best plan I’ve found, I can still stuff my face and lose weight. Some days I eat TWO curly wurlys, a bacon sandwich and a big bowl of pasta with cheese and still lose weight. Mental.
So I thought, as it’s January, new year and all that, there’d be a few people looking for a place to start their weight loss. So this is my kind of “essential” list of some food you’ll need, some bits and bobs to help you on your way, and some Instagram accounts you might want to follow for inspiration or even to have a good moan to.
Let’s start with the best bit: food.
These are just examples of stuff I use and eat, so if you don’t fancy something I’ve mentioned you can always replace it for whatever you like, within reason of course.
- Frylight. Syn free oil spray to fry your BACON. You can eat bacon my lovelies!
- Muller Light yoghurts. Most are syn free, but double check. They’ve brought out “Cake Shop” inspired ones, you can get them at Iceland (the shop in the UK, don’t worry you haven’t got to take a plane ride every week for these beauties), they’re so nice.
- Frozen veg. Much easier to chuck this in a mug, tablespoon of water, plate over the top and ram it in the microwave for 3 minutes. Quick, easy, no chopping your fingers off either.
- Frozen fruit. Same as above, and you can just dump it onto a Muller Light yoghurt, with a bit of my next essential.
- Choc Shot! It’s made by a company called Sweet Freedom. They’ve got a few flavours, but I mainly buy the normal chocolate one. It’s on offer for £2.50 in ASDA, and it’s 0.5 syn’s per teaspoon. Chocolate in any form is brilliant, but when I can cover my breakfast in this and only use 1 syn, it’s even better.
- Oats. You can get a bag of rolled oats in Lidl for like, 29 pence I think. You can have 40g as your Healthy Extra B, and you can use them for so many things. My favourite at the moment is baked oats with a bit of Choc Shot in the middle. Warm and filling!
- Sweetener. If using shit loads at one time (like, more than a tablespoon) it’s synned at 0.5 syns per tbsp. But if you’re just having a teaspoon or two in cups of tea and coffee, you’re safe. I use the Hermesetas tablets for when I’m out and about (it’s in my handbag, little tip) and the granulated Hermesetas for when I’m in the house.
- Coffee! This is an essential to me whether I’m losing weight or not. There’s some fab flavoured coffee that’s syn free. Check out the Beanies coffee range, there’s so many delicious tasting ones you’ll be spoilt for choice.
- Fruit tea. This is how I get a lot of my of water intake from when I’m in the house. Lidl do a lovely range, I’ve got raspberry and peach at the moment, it’s so nice.
- Eggs. Get lots of eggs, you’d be surprised how many you’ll go through.
- Wholemeal bread. 60 grams of ANY wholemeal bread can be your Healthy Extra B.
- Lean meat. Chicken with the skin taken off, less than 5% fat mince, turkey, ham with all visible fat trimmed off is syn free!
- Fresh fruit. Great for when you’re walking past the kitchen and get a bit peckish. My favourites at the moment are bananas, clementines, raspberries and apples.
- Chopped tomatoes. A lot of the Slimming World recipes are tomato based, and it’s speeeeed food!
- Pasta. Just, carbs.
- Rice. Make a chicken fried rice, just like the takeaways!
- Low syn chocolates. Best bet’s are Freddo’s for 5 syns, Curly Wurly’s for 6, a Galaxy Ripple for 8.5. Ahhh I am loving this way of losing weight.
- Low syn crisps. If you’re more of a savoury person than a sweet, there’s some low syn crisps for when the munchies strike. A pack of Space Raiders are 6 syns, and French Fries are 4.5.
- Herbs. Your spice rack will be overflowing, a quick warning. Make sure you read what herb you’re picking up, I thought I was sprinkling cinnamon over my baked oats. It was fucking CUMIN. Yuck.
- Options hot chocolate sachets. They’re 2 syns each for most of them, and they’re gorgeous. If I’ve got any of my milk from my Healthy Extra A left, I have it with this. Creamy and chocolatey.
There’s loads of things that you can pick up that are syn free or low syn, these are just my essentials. Now for some things you might need to pick up on your way to skinny Minnie.
- Weighing scales. There’s not much weighing and measuring with Slimming World, but you’ll need some to weigh your oats, bread, and thing’s you might want to syn… I picked up some for 6 quid in Asda.
- Food diary! These can be absolute lifesavers. If you write down everything you eat, you can check what’s going wrong if you’re not seeing the results you want. I take my food diary shopping with me so I can see what I eat the most of. One of my favourites is this from Bite it Write it. Their Instagram is @biteitwriteit, and you can use my code ‘gabriellesw96’ for 10% off.
- Water bottle. Drinking more water will help the lbs to shift. I love the HydrateM8 bottles, but they can be pretty expensive. I’m just using a cheap pound one from B&M until my loan comes in. Skint student problems…
- Hand blender/food processor. These are must haves for soups! You can buy soup makers too, that can either do a soup smooth or chunky. Definitely asking for one soon.
- Airfryer. These can be a bit pricey, but if you can pick one up cheap, they’re amazing! The chips that come out of them are sooo good. I’ve got the Halo+, but Aldi have this one in store on Thursday this week for £29.99. So the 5th, get your bottoms down to Aldi.
Finally.. Instagram has some of the best Slimming World support out there. It really keeps my arse firmly in gear, especially because I don’t go to group. Go ahead and follow these lovely Slimming Worlders, and you’ll see exactly what I mean.
Oh and my Instagram is @gabrielle.sw96_x.
I hope this gives you a little nudge in the right direction, or even a forceful push if that’s what you need.